skip to main content

Counselor Assignment by Last Name

Ms. Price            A - Di
Ms. Clark           Do - J
Ms. Ozeroff       K - N

Ms. Cramer       O - Sa

Ms. Straessler  Sc - Z

Counseling Corner Newsletter

September 2022 

October 2022

November 2022

December 2022

January 2023

February 2023

March 2023

April 2023

May 2023

Funding Your Future Virtual Sessions 11/17; 11/18;  12/1; 12/2; 12/8; 12/9; 12/14

Daily Announcement Link (updated twice a week)

Graduation day will be here before you know it and it's time to ensure that you have scheduled your Senior Portraits at Prestige Studios and order your Graduation Caps and Gowns! Please ensure that you have reviewed the following information:
1. Check out this video from Jostens with instructions on how to order caps, gowns, grad announcements etc
2. For Prestige Portrait Appointments: Click on Appointments Plus to create your account and reserve your time, review existing reservations, or reschedule a reservation  Phone #: 877-825-7922


  • Counseling Web Page


Planning for Highschool

Welcome! Your golden opportunity awaits...
High school is so much more than mastering the Pythagorean theorem or analyzing what Shakespeare meant by “To be.” One of the most important things you’ll learn about in high school is yourself. This self-discovery is what transforms you from a child to an adult. Learning about your strengths, your weaknesses, your likes and dislikes. High school also offers you the independence to explore different interests that you might want to pursue in college and beyond. Some may be a dead end while other may lead you to a passion that develops into a career down the road.
So how can you can you take advantage of this four-year journey of self-discovery? Here are a couple of ways you can make the most out of high school.
Get involved– High school is so much more than reading, writing and arithmetic. Some of the richest high school experiences come after the final bell. Clubs, sports, theater, student government —they all can teach leadership, teamwork, time management, and responsibility while having fun and meeting new people.
Speak up– Share your opinion in class and outside of it. Sure, it can be scary putting your thoughts and ideas out there but doing so will give you the self-confidence to speak aloud. Others may challenge your opinions. That’s ok. Matter of fact, that’s great. It will expose you to other lines of thinking that can change your opinion or strengthen your own convictions.
Be open to meeting new people– Having a strong group of friends is great but don’t be afraid to meet new people in class, clubs or just in the hallway —especially those that might seem different from you. You never know what you might share in common or, at the very least, you’ll learn to respect the differences in other people.
Ask for help when you need it– High school is a time of immense growth. You come in a child and leave as a young adult. Just as with any other times of growth, there will always be some pains. Whether you’re having trouble with schoolwork, other students, relationships, drugs, alcohol or your just feeling a little lost, there are a number of people around you who can help. Just ask.
High school is an opportunity that comes once in a lifetime. Work hard, have fun and years from now you’ll look back on your high school years with a smile. 
It is a good idea for students to map out the courses they would like to take in a four year plan. Please remember every plan can be customized to the individual student's need. Please refer to the Course Catalog for elective choices. Be aware of graduation requirements, college requirements, and course pre-requisites. Click the link below to access and print a blank four year plan.
Source: High Value High Schools 

Transcript Requests

All Senior Final Transcripts will be sent to the colleges listed on your Senior Exit Survey after final grades have been posted. If you need an official transcript prior to this please use the transcript request form below. Official Transcripts should not be requested unless you are specifically directed by a university/program. Please include the email from the University or program making the request and carefully follow their directions. Please allow 2-3 days to process requests.


Parents new to the district, wishing to enroll their student at RCHS, may apply through our District Website. In addition, students must complete a Course Request Sheet for the grade level they will be when attending, see below. Course offerings will be subject to availability. Testing may be required for placement. 



As personnel, facilities and material resources are assigned based on student’s course selections, it is imperative that students choose courses carefully (including alternates) during spring registration. Changes to student schedules create an impact on many other courses and, therefore, will only be made on a limited basis. If a student changes his/her schedule two weeks into the semester, that student is already behind in learning. Therefore, RCHS administration has established the following schedule change policy to promote academic success for students.

Students will be expected to keep the courses they selected. An exception to this will be made if a student is placed at the wrong level. If a course request sheet is not received, a counselor will create a schedule for the student based on credits and course needs.


Schedule changes will be made for the following reasons only and dependent on availability:
  • I am missing a class I need to graduate.
  • I have a duplicate period in the same term.
  • I am in the wrong level of a class (ex: I am scheduled for Integrated Math 2, but I failed Integrated Math 1).
  • I am missing a period from my schedule.
NO schedule changes will be made for:
  • Lunch changes
  • Teacher changes
  • Rearranging periods
  • Electives

Senior Year Info

Class of 2023 google classroom: If you are not part of the google classroom, please email Ms. Flores - You may only be added to the class via invite. 

Annie Cole and Pamela Akhahon
SERVICE LEARNING: Noe Guerra, Sona Desmangles  Please talk to Mr. Guerra or Ms. Desmangles If you have any questions related to Service Learning hours.

SENIOR WEEK (Month of May)

SENIOR CHECK OUT must be done BEFORE participation in any Senior Week activities. Senior Check Out forms will be distributed in May and will also be available in the Counseling Office. Completed forms must be returned to your Counselor. Senior Survey must be completed online. Click HERE for Link.
The activities during this month include: Senior Trip, Senior Breakfast, Senior Sunset, Senior Award Night, Decision Day, Graduation Practice… and of course, Graduation!  Senior events will be posted on the google classroom (CLASS OF 2023) in the month of April. You must register by the deadline to participate in Senior Trip, Senior Breakfast, or Senior Sunset. Senior Award Night is by invitation only.
Participation in events will depend upon student behavior and academics. If you are on the NO-GO-LIST you will not be able to participate in any of the activities and school events. The “No-Go-List” is a list of students who have two Fs and/or 10 tardies per term.
Senior Portraits: deadline for submission is tentatively December 26, 2022. All Senior Portraits must be booked through Prestige at
Yearbook Senior Ads due January 30, 2023
Senior Quotes due: January 13, 2023
Purchase a Yearbook: Order your 2022-23 RC Yearbook online at  or purchase from the River City Student Store at the end of the year.
SAT & ACT for 2022-2023:
SAT INFORMATION (  dates: Oct 1, Nov 5, Dec 3, Mar 11, May 6, June 3
ACT INFORMATION (  dates: Sept 10, Oct 22, Dec 10, Feb 11, April 15, June 10
October 12th 1:30-3:30 (4yr college)
November 16th 1:30-3:30 (4yr college)
Sacramento City College Presentation and Workshop Dates - ongoing, see announcesments for dates.



College and Career Resources

Applying to a UC Video

2022 University of CA Admission Presentation

CSU Sacramento Admissions Presentation

EAOP Video     EAOP Flyer

EAOP is looking to recruit 9th and 10th graders at River City for this academic year. As a partner of RCHS, UC Davis EAOP has created a video that showcases our program and how students can participate. Please click on the video below for more information.


General Information

Graduation Requirements

RCHS is on a 4x4 block schedule. In simple terms, a 4x4 is a schedule where students take eight 10-credit classes; four classes in the fall term and four classes in the spring term. Each of the four classes meets every day for 90 minutes. Individual schedules will vary, but a typical freshman schedule might look like the following:

Fall Term: English, Science, PE, Elective
Spring Term: Math, World Language, BFS, Elective


4 terms / 40 credits
3 terms / 30 credits
(including Math 2)
2 yrs lab science
2 terms / 20 credits
(both must be lab sciences:1 year physical science, 1 year life science)
Social Science
World History 10th
US History 11th
US Government /
Economics 12th
3 terms / 30 credits
World History (10 credits)
US History (10 credits)
US Gov’t (5 credits)
Economics (5 credits)
World Languages
2 terms / 20 credits Must be the same language
Visual / Performing Arts
1 term / 10 credits
Building Foundations for Success
1 term /10 credits
Physical Education
2 terms / 20* credits *students who do not pass Physical Fitness Exams will be required to take additional credits of PE
70 credits
Sample 4 Year Plan     Blank Four Year Plan

Bryte Campus

Bryte Campus

Bryte College and Career Training campus is River City High School's extension campus located in northern West Sacramento. The extension campus is noted for its popular Career Technical Education (CTE) programs in Culinary Arts, Ag Science - FFA, and Construction - BITA. 
Students attend the Bryte extension campus two periods a day and spend two periods a day at River City. Students may attend morning classes at Bryte and then take the bus back to River City for their afternoon classes or attend morning classes at River City then take the bus to Bryte for afternoon classes. 
Washington Unified School District career and technical education (CTE) programs prepare students by providing them with industry-specific knowledge and skills critical for successful employment in a wide range of high-wage, high-skill, and high-demand careers.  

WUSD's Career Technical Education Department offers sequences of courses or pathways in 9 career areas. Refer to the links below to learn more about WUSD's Career and Technical Education pathways. With the aid of local industry partners, many of our programs offer work-based learning opportunities including mentoring, guest speakers, job shadowing, and internships.  

Each of our career and technical education pathways prepares students to enter employment directly following high school and/or prepares students to continue their educational and career goals in aligned programs at local colleges. In addition, our programs have been designed with regular input from advisory committee members who keep our programs relevant with up-to-date industry expectations and standards. 

Combined with other academic offerings, students enrolled in Career Technical Education are able to meet UC/CSU A-G college entrance requirements as well as high school graduation requirements and career goals.
Please see the Course Catalog  or the links below for Descriptions of our CTE Programs.



Service Learning



  1. Service Learning questions can be referred to an Assistant Principal. 
  2. Students should turn in all Service Learning paperwork, current and previous year's paperwork, to the correct boxes in the AP office as soon as the hours have been completed.  You do NOT have to wait for the due date deadline.
  3. If you do not complete service learning hours for previous years, you may be ineligible to play a sport and/or obtain a work permit.
12th grade: December 2, 2022 Mid Year Graduates, April 21, 2023 all other Seniors
11th grade: March 24, 2023
10th grade:  February 24, 2023
9th grade:    January 20, 2023
Need help finding a place to serve?
  1. How many Service Learning hours are required?
    Students are required to do 8 hours of service learning for every year of enrollment at RCHS.
  2. Can a student work for the same organization all four years? Yes.
  3. Can students work for multiple organizations during the same year? Yes.   
  4. When can service learning hours be completed? Students can complete hours for the next school year after June 2 of the current school year, unless otherwise approved.  Any hours that were not completed can be made up at any time.  
  5. Where can the Service Learning hours be completed? Service Learning hours must be completed for a non-profit company or charity group, a school, city or state agency, or a licensed nursing home or daycare.  If a student is not sure an organization qualifies, please seek approval before completing the hours.  Helping a neighbor with babysitting or yard work does not qualify for service learning.
  6. Where do students turn in their completed form? Service Learning paperwork should be turned in to the drop box in the Assistant Principals' office as soon as the hours and form has been completed.
  7. Must the Service Learning hours be completed? YES!!  Service Learning is a graduation requirement; if students do not complete 8 hours of service learning for every year of enrollment at RCHS, students will be denied a diploma, work permits will be denied or revoked, and student athletes will not be permitted to play in league contests.
  8. Can a student be paid for the hours completed? No. Service Learning hours must be 100% voluntary.  No compensation of any kind is allowed.
  9. Can students miss school to complete the required Service Learning hours?  No.  Students may not miss any part of the school day to complete service learning hours.
  10. Can students complete multiple years' requirements in one year? Yes, but only if the student is missing hours. For example, a Senior who hasn't completed any hours must complete all 32 hours their Senior year.  However, a Freshman cannot complete all 32 hours their Freshman year.
  11. Is there a penalty for Seniors who do not complete the required number of hours? Yes. Seniors that have not completed Service Learning hours by the deadlines may have to appeal to have the deadline extended.  See Mr. Guerra in the Assistant Principals' office for the appeal process if you fall under this category.  In addition, Seniors will not receive a diploma and may be unable to participate in the graduation ceremony, as well as other Senior-specific events.
  12. Is there a penalty that affects other grade levels who do not complete the required number of hours? Yes.  All students can be denied a work permit or can have it revoked.  In addition, student athletes will be unable to play in league contests until the hours are brought current.  This means that if a Sophomore is playing football and hasn't completed 9th grade hours, that student cannot play in league football games until 8 hours of Service Learning have been completed.
  13. Who does my student contact if he or she has questions about the Service Learning requirement? Please contact the Assistant Principals' secretary at 916-375-7800 x 2078 

Advanced Education (Concurrent College Classes)

Sacramento City College UPDATE: Starting November 28, 2022 we will accept forms via an online submission portal on our website or in person. We will no longer accept forms via email. Students can get the signed form from their Counselor and easily upload it and their transcript to the site. We are also open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, students can submit in person or come during their enrollment time (which begins December 15, 2022) with their form.
What is Advanced Education?
Advanced Education is a program that allows current high school students to take classes at Sacramento City College. Advanced Education students may enroll in one or two college courses each semester (across the Los Rios district).
Student Records
The grades you earn in advanced education classes go on your permanent college transcript. Parents of advanced education students who are under 18 do not have a right of access to their children’s student records.
Please note: Grades earned in Advanced Education courses will not receive a grade bump on student's permanent high school transcript. The course credit and grade the student receives will become part of his or her permanent college record and must be reported as such on college applications. Students will need to request official transcripts from the Los Rios Community College District to be sent to any and all institutions to receive credit. Failure to do so may result in delayed admission


What’s New?

Starting in the 2022-23 academic school year, high schools, and school districts (Local Educational Agencies) will need to ensure that all 12th graders in the state of California complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, unless the student has formally submitted an opt-out waiver. The goal of “All In for FAFSA/CA Dream Act” is to expand access to financial aid to thousands of students who may have otherwise not been aware of these opportunities. Opt Out Form

For more information, visit

Cal Grant GPA's are uploaded by the school automatically. Students who do not want their GPA uploaded must fill out an opt out form prior to January 1 of their Junior Year. The Commission offers a Cal Grant GPA Opt-Out Form in both English and Spanish

Financial Aid

What’s New?
Starting in the 2022-23 academic school year, high schools, and school districts (Local Educational Agencies) will need to ensure that all 12th graders in the state of California complete a FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, unless the student has formally submitted an opt-out waiver. The goal of “All In for FAFSA/CA Dream Act” is to expand access to financial aid to thousands of students who may have otherwise not been aware of these opportunities. Opt Out Form
For more information, visit

Cal Grant OPT Out Form - English          Spanish

Athletes and College


The admission and eligibility process for athletes has become increasingly complicated. Any athlete who wishes to receive an athletic scholarship or even participate in intercollegiate athletics at the Division I or Division II level must receive initial clearance from the NCAA Eligibility Clearinghouse. It is mandatory, with no exceptions. To make things more confusing, Athletics and the college admission process have a longstanding but often misunderstood relationship. The college admission office is the gateway through which all athletes must pass. Every single one of the athletes who plays competitive intercollegiate athletics must first be admitted to a college (Pruden).
In choosing classes for your student athlete it is important to be aware of College Entrance requirements NCAA approved coursework. Please spend time researching the links and advice offered on this page. Check with a counselor to verify which courses at RCHS count for the NCAA.

Seal of Bi-Literacy

The Seal of Biliteracy is an accolade presented by a school, district or county office of education to recognize a student who has demonstrated proficiency in two or more languages by high school graduation. The seal encourages students to pursue biliteracy, honors the skills our students attain and can be evidence of skills that are attractive to future employers and college admissions offices. The seal is only presented to students who have graduated high school, as it is affixed to their diploma. Numerous benefits are inherent in developing a Seal of Biliteracy: recognizing the value of language diversity, preparing high school graduates for a 21st century world and workplace and taking an asset-based view of non-native English students' native languages, cultures and heritage.
The California State Seal of Biliteracy Criteria established in legislation certifies attainment of a high level of proficiency in two or more languages. The English criteria includes:
  • Completion of all English language arts requirements for graduation with an overall grade point average of 2.0 or above.
  • Passing the California Standards test in English language arts administered in grade 11 at the proficient level or above.
  • For English learners not reclassified, attain the overall early advanced level on the English language development test
The criteria for proficiency in a language other than English is one of the following:
  • Passing a World Language Advanced Placement examination with a score of 3 or higher
  • Passing an International Baccalaureate examination with a score of 4 or higher
  • Successful completion of a four-year high school course of study in a world language and attaining an overall grade point average of 3.0 or above and completion of district approved speaking exam.
  • Passing a school district language exam that, at a minimum, assesses speaking, reading and writing passing at a proficient level or higher
  • Passing the SAT II world language examination with a score of 600 or higher


Most RCHS teachers are available before / afterschool for help and questions. You can reach out by email or in person to schedule an appointment.
ACADEMIC OUTREACH - Access to multiple teachers/subjects, late bus passes available!
Days: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday 3:45 pm to 4:45 pm
Where: Raider Cafe
FEV Tutor - Free tutoring English/Espanol
Students struggling in Math, Science, and  History may benefit from the following website. There are also lessons on SAT Preparation, Finance, and other relevant topics.  
BYU (Brigham Young University) offers courses for free* online at . Students and parents may follow the lessons to supplement their learning, including those interested in U.S. Citizenship. *Please note, students will not earn credits for free classes.

Resources for Undocumented Students

High School Proficiency Exam

CHSPE Website

What is the CHSPE?
The CHSPE is a voluntary test, given only in English, that assesses proficiency in reading, writing, and mathematics skills. The test consists of two test sections: English language arts (which has two subtests, reading and language) and mathematics. More information on the content of the tests can be found on the website under "About the Test".

When and where is the CHSPE offered?

The three administration dates are offered each school year. Most California counties have at least one test administration center. For a list of counties and test centers, go to the registration page on the CHSPE website.

Who is eligible to take the CHSPE?

You may take the CHSPE only if, on the test date, you meet  of the following criteria:
  • You are at least sixteen years old.
  • You have been enrolled in grade ten for one academic year or longer.
  • You will complete one academic year of enrollment in grade ten at the end of the semester during which the next regular administration of the CHSPE will be conducted. (Regular administrations are the fall and spring administrations each school year.)

Homeless Youth Fee Wavier Information

The registration fee for the CHSPE will be waived for any examinee who is under twenty-five years of age and can verify his or her status as a homeless youth. 

Certified Foster Youth Fee Wavier Information

To qualify for a waiver, a foster youth must submit all standard required registration materials and certification of his or her foster youth status at the time of registration for a test administration. This certification can be provided by the county of residence or the California Department of Social Services. Eligibility for the fee waiver is valid until the certified foster youth reaches twenty-five years of age.
Additional information is located on the website or by phoning 1-866-342-4773.
Last Reviewed: Monday, April 29, 2019

Embracing Diversity

Hispanic Heritage Month - September - October
National American Indian Heritage Month - November; The United Nations’ (UN) International Day of the World's Indigenous People is observed on August 9 each year to promote and protect the rights of the world’s Indigenous population. Also known as World Tribal Day, this event also recognises the achievements and contributions that Indigenous people make to improve world issues such as environmental protection.
Black History Month  - February

Community Resources

Suspect Child Abuse? Report It