skip to main content


Sign up to take the ASVAB Career Exploration Assessment, a FREE tool to help students discover their career aptitudes, interests and strengths then map out post-secondary plans for success.

Email Mrs. Desmangles to SIGN UP at     

WHEN: October 20, 2021

WHERE: River City High School in F-Commons

WHO: 10th, 11th, and 12th Graders


Community Colleges

There are many great options when it comes to community colleges in the Sacramento area. Community colleges are an inexpensive way to earn a degree or certificate.
The Los Rios Community College District consist of 4 colleges:
Another option in the area is Sierra College. The Rocklin campus offers on-campus housing.

California State University (CSU)

The CSU system consists of 23 campuses throughout the state. To be eligible for CSUs you must complete specific classes usually referred to as A-G classes. You must earn a C or better in each of those classes. Also, you must take either the SAT or the ACT. Keep in mind that some campuses/programs are impacted which means that they receive more applications then they can accommodate. This results in additional requirements for the school/program.
Visit California State University to learn more about the requirements, specific campuses or programs.

University of California (UC)

The UC system consists of 10 campuses (1 campus is not open to undergraduates). To be eligible for UCs you must complete specific classes (A-G), earn a grade point average of a 3.0 or better, and take the SAT with essay or the ACT plus writing by December of your senior year.
Visit the University of California – Admissions to learn more about the requirements, specific campuses or programs.

Private College and University

Private colleges and universities are all over the country. They are generally more expensive than the public school systems but don’t let that scare you. They have a lot of money to give as financial aid (institutional grants and scholarships). They also have different requirements than the CSUs and UCs so even if you are not eligible to apply to one of those, you may still be eligible to apply to a private institution.
You can use the Common Application to apply to multiple institutions with a single application. Currently, more than 700 colleges and universities accept the Common App. Check out the list of campuses on The Common App.
To explore private colleges and universities in California, visit Association of Independent California Colleges and Universities.

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU)

Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) are located all over the country. They were established to primarily serve African American students but have always allowed admission to students of all races/ethnicities. There are 107 campuses including 2 year and 4 year, public and private institutions. Admission requirements for each campus vary so make sure you look at the specific school you are interested in to see if you are eligible.
Visit for a list of unique Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs).


Taco Bell
Club Pheasant
Quick Quack Car Wash
Marcos Pizza
Del Taco
Pizza Guys
Goodwill Industries
Sourdough and Company
Dave's Pumpkin Patch

College and Career Center

Request for a work permit application & instructions

Request for a work permit application & instructions


Work Permits are handled by our Career Info Specialist, Mrs. Desmangles  during the school year. Follow the instructions below and contact her with any questions.
  • You can find in-depth information about student work laws here on the state's Dept. of Industrial Relations page.
  • The student/minor, after obtaining a promise of employment, must print out and complete the “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor & Request for a Permit”, also known as the CDE B1-1 form. This form must be completed and signed by the employer, the student and a Parent/Guardian. 
  • Next, return the completed CDE B1-1 form to Mrs. Desmangles at the school's Academic Counseling Office, located in the Administration Building (Bldg. A). Please email her at to coordinate a time to drop off the CDE B1-1 form in exchange for a validated Work Permit. The school will keep a copy and you will take the second copy to your employer, both copies must be signed by you, the student.
Students must meet the GPA and attendance requirements prior to obtaining a work permit.  River City High School requires the minor to maintain a 2.0 Grade Point Average (GPA), which will be verified each grading term. 
**Students who do not qualify, must get approval from their assigned administrator by submitting a Parent Appeal Form before the work permit will be issued. Click here to print the form: 
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q: Does the school have any discretion to limit the minor's work activity?
A:Yes. As a condition of issuance, the local district, school, or work permit issuer may reduce maximum work hours and impose additional occupational restrictions not specified in statute or regulation. The authorized work permit issuer does not have discretion to extend hours beyond the maximum specified in statute or waive any occupational restrictions 

Q: Does a student have to present his/her Social Security card to school authorities when applying for a work permit?
A: No. The work permit application (CDE Form B1-1) and work permit (CDE Form B1-4) shall contain, among other information, the name, address, telephone number, and Social Security number of the minor (EC sections 49115 and 49163). The statutes do not specify that the card itself must be presented, only the number.

Q: Is my work permit job specific?
A: Yes. Every time you get a new job, you need a new work permit.
For further information about California's Child Labor Laws click on this link


Welcome to the College & Career Center


“The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you” – B.B. King 

Career Information Specialist

Career Information Specialist

Should you have questions regarding college admission, career exploration, miliary options, work permits, part-time jobs, career assessment tests or paid summer internships, please contact Mrs. Desmangles via email at or call 916-375-7800 ext. 2061




  • Service Learning questions can be referred to Assistant Principal Noe Guerra via email to
  • Students should turn in all Service Learning paperwork, current and previous year's paperwork, to the correct boxes in the Assistant Principals office as soon as the hours have been completed.  You do NOT have to wait for the due date deadline.
  • If you do not complete service learning hours for previous years, you may be ineligible to play a sport and/or obtain a work permit.

START HERE to find your service learning match!
Yolo County: Non-Profit Organizations with volunteer opportunities
NPOs in Yolo County (Davis, West Sacramento, and Woodland) and contact phone numbers
VolunteerMatch: The Best Volunteer Opportunities in West Sacramento
Filter search by cause, skills, distance, and other variables
City of Sacramento: Youth Volunteer Directory
Detailed information about volunteer opportunities, sorted by interest area
River City Service Learning Form
(click to print) (click to make your own editable copy)


CTE prepares youth for a wide range of good-wage, high-skill, and high demand careers.
CTE is an educational strategy designed to prepare students for ongoing education, long-term careers, citizenship, and entry into the workplace.
CTE responds to the needs of the economy with regard to both industry focus and skills that are taught.
CTE serves 94 percent of all high school students, including male and female students, students from many races and ethnicities, and students from higher and lower income backgrounds.
In California, CTE is made up of 15 career pathways which include
Arts, Media, & Entertainment--Building & Construction Trades-- Business & Finance-Education--Child Development & Family Services--Agriculture & Natural Resources--Energy, Environment & Utilities--Engineering & Architecture--Fashion & Interior Design--Health Science & Medical Technology--Hospitality, Tourism, & Recreation--Information and Communication Technologies--Manufacturing & Product Development--Marketing, Sales, & Services--Public Services--Transportation.