Responding to Crisis
Tips for responding to student questions and comments about tragedies in the news. These tips also apply to questions that parents may be fielding from their children.
- Talking to your child about shootings
- Tips and Resources for Teachers and parents
- CA Dept of Edu: Coping with Tragedy
- Safe Schools Information from CDE
- Emergency Response and Crisis Management (ERCM) Technical Assistance Center
- Talking with Kids about Violence: Tips for Parents and Teachers
- Teaching in Times of Crisis
- Save the children: How to help children cope
- Listen, Protect and Connect: Psychological First Aid for Teachers and Schools
Digital Safety - Help for Parents
Although there are plenty of tools that can be used to try to control or monitor what your kids are doing online, the best approach for most parents is that oldest of tools called conversation. Having an occasional chat with your kids about how they’re using technology can go a long way towards keeping them safer, and learning more about the actual risks can help keep you saner. Here are some tools and information to help get you started.
Yahoo! Safely - learning how to make smart and safer choices online for parents and teens
Digital Safety - A Course for Parents: A brief slide presentation in PDF form that discusses the challenges that today's online media environment presents and offers some tips for parents