Mock Trial to State Finals
The River City Mock Trial team is preparing to represent Yolo County in the California State Mock Trial Finals in San Jose over the weekend of March 21-23. The team competed in the regional rounds at the Sacramento County Courthouse, finishing 2-2 against local opponents.
A mock trial is a simulated court trial that features students in the roles of attorneys, witnesses, court clerks, bailiffs and jurors. Teams of nine to twenty students from approximately 25 area schools study a hypothetical criminal case, conduct research and prepare for their day(s) in court. Teams are scored by real attorneys on how effectively they prepare and present their case. County winners go on to state competition; state winners compete in a national Mock Trial in May. The local competition is sponsored by the Sacramento County Office of Education.
Mock Trial Season Calendar Google Calendar (to be updated in October)
- Mock Trial Wiki - post your material here for all team members and coaches to access and comment. Email me if you didn't get an invitation to join. Be sure to include your name in the email, or I may not know who you are. No one gets access to the wiki who is not a member of the team.
- The Case Packet People v Concha -- password protected; see me for the password
- Forms and downloads from CRF (Errata, casebook, exhibits, handbooks, rules, forms)
- Team Rule Book
- Highlights to changes this year
- Attorney/Judge Handbook
- Online Trial Game: Make Your Case from Scholastic, Make Your Case is a courtroom trial simulation in which students control the action in a television-like trial. Students play the role of attorneys in a civil case involving a traffic accident between a bicyclist and a driver. Practice in trial decision-making, objections, and statement/argument preparation.
- CRF Mock Trial Message Board - Join and discuss the case with other students and coaches from throughout the state; this board may be dead with the establishment of the...
- CRF Mock Trial Facebook page!
Courtroom Artist and Journalist Information