A few months ago, a "mysterious benefactor" (who heard about Foster Youth Incorporated, RCHS ("FYI") through Yolo County's Office of Education) offered to bring Christmas gifts for our students. We sent a list of first names, and expected stockings full of candy--everyone likes bringing smiles to kids around the holidays!
This afternoon, what we got instead was 2 vans full of presents. There were beautiful gift bags for each of our 40+ "FYI" members, including foster students, homeless students, and unaccompanied youth that we have identified and work with at RCHS. Each bag contained close to $250 of awesome gifts/gift cards perfect for teenagers... The people delivering the gifts called themselves delivery elves--they don't know who the benefactor is, either!
We also received a box full of adorable hand-knitted hats and scarves (complete with animal-puppet mittens attached!) from a donor who didn't have success selling them at a recent craft fair, so she donated ALL of them instead. And since she was already donating, she also knit a bunch of stockings and filled them for our students to give out to their younger siblings as gifts.
We are so excited, so grateful, and literally in awe. This made the entire holiday season for me, other staff members, and all of our students, who started shrieking and giggling and hugging and crying.
Thank you to everyone doing good things this holiday season! You are the best. And thank YOU for reading this and supporting FYI.
If you want to learn more about our program, please visit our website.
Easy ways to get involve include "liking" our Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/rchsfyi, letting Ms. Buss know if you know of any students at RCHS who might qualify for our program, and considering our current "Sponsor a Senior" campaign (started before we knew about this incredible gifts, and still very relevant!). A full or partial sponsorship in the name of a friend or family member makes a great holiday gift for those of you who haven't started shopping...
So, so happy today.
Thank You, "Santa!"
2013-2014 Tentative Schedule
- Nov 20: FYI Fieldtrip to EOP Day, Sierra College, Rocklin, CA
- Dec 12: FYI Luncheon (12p – 1:10p, Career Center)
- Jan 30: FYI Luncheon (12p – 1:10p, Career Center)
- Mar 13: FYI Luncheon (12p – 1:10p, Career Center)
- Apr 10: FYI Luncheon (12p – 1:10p, Career Center)
- May 2, 3, 4: FYI Fieldtrip (Rafting and camping with Project GO, hopefully!)
- May 22: FYI Luncheon (12p – 1:10p, Career Center)
- TBD: FYI Fieldtrip to UC Davis Guardian Scholars Day
- TBD: FYI Fieldtrip to Sacramento STate
Foster Youth Incorporated (F.Y.I.) is a student group on campus for any students who are in the foster care system or who have been in it at any point during their teenage years, even if they are no longer in the system. In additino to foster youth, we also provide assistance for homeless students and student who qualify as unaccompanied youth. Our goal is to provide extra support for students who find themselves in sometimes difficult circumstances, including:
- School supplies
- Teacher support by assigning each student a mentor on campus
- Monthly/bi-monthly luncheons (with free pizza!) with guest speakers, activities, and a chance to hang out with other F.Y.I. students in a safe and supportive environment
- Field trips and awards for students who meet attendance and academic criteria
- Resources and information about general career, college, and financial aid information, and special resources specifically for students in the foster care system.
If you are a student who is in or has been in the foster care system since age 13 (or if you know anyone who matches this description) please consider joining us! Above all else, we support each other, provide resources, eat pizza, and have fun hanging out together.
Please see or contact Ms. Buss in G706 for further information.